Follow these tips to help make sure your interview day goes smoothly.
- Make sure you know where the interview venue is. Plan how you are going to get there and plan to arrive at least 30 minutes before you interview, in case there are any delays in your journey.
- Look smart. Wear a suit unless the Fire & Rescue Service you are applying to has told you that you don’t need to. Remember that first impressions count and you want to look committed.
- Be comfortable. Take a glass of water if it’s offered, you will be doing lots of talking! Ask if it’s OK to take your jacket off if it’s warm.
- Prepare you answers. You will be asked some general questions like ‘Why do you want to join the fire service?’ Be prepared for these types of questions. You can prepare for the more formal part of the interview- the PQA questions, using our Firefighter interview resources.
- Show you are listening. Make sure you look at your interviewer and nod at appropriate places. There won’t be much time for your own questions, so save these for another time.
- Ask to hear the question again. If you aren’t sure, ask for the question to be repeated. It is very important that you answer the questions they have asked, not the question you wanted!
- Keep your answers focused on evidence. General statements will not get you marks. You need to provide proof of how good you are.
- Above all, be yourself. Relax, smile, and try to enjoy it. It’s not often that you get to talk about yourself for nearly an hour!
Please tell us about a time when you have built rapport with a group in…